After correcting a really big catalog foobar of my own making in Aperture this morning, I set about to create some smart albums to catch a few unique items in my catalog of images. Specifically, I was looking for images that either reported an aperture of f/0 or a focal length of 0mm. Largely, these are images I’ve shot through a T-adapter on one of my telescopes.
However, try as hard as I could, I couldn’t get Aperture to let me do that. Oh, I could enter the data in the panel for the smart album, but I couldn’t get Aperture to actually act on my parameters.
Then I noticed a parameter for “is in the range”.
Using that, I was able to set up conditions for in the range of 0mm to 1mm, and f/0 to f/1. Perfect!!!
In a perfect world, I’d love to be able to change the EXIF data to reflect the use of my telescopes, but I haven’t quite figured out how to have Aperture let me do that. For now, I’m using a custom field to track that info for the ‘scopes, as well as for lenses that aren’t identified well on my older camera bodies (Canon EOS 10D and 20D, specifically).
Where there’s a will, there’s a way!