This lazy Sunday finds me still hacking my lungs up, with a headache and muscle aches from all the coughing, and just enough energy to doze through some TV. However, during some of my “up” time, I managed to get the Lightroom 1.1 upgrade done on the Quad.
I’ve read a bunch of stuff that led me to belief that the upgrade was quick (it was), but that large photo archives took a while to convert into the new catalog format. I’ve got over 55,000 images in my archive, and it didn’t seem too painful, although I did go watch the last couple of innings of the Cards game, so I don’t really know how long it took.
As some of you may remember, my work with LR has not been the best. Part of that is probably time and effort on my part. However, right now, I’m importing a bunch of stuff — kinda was waiting for LR 1.1 — and it seems like it’s a little faster. I generate full size previews, and pretty much do everything I can to slow it down as much as I can. 🙂 From what I can see, it seems that the new LR may be bringing stuff in quicker.
The next thing for me to try is copying my catalog over to the MacBook. Ideally, I wanna be able to look at my images on the MacBook — part of why I create the full size preview images — while not having to carry my whole library with me. Those previews aren’t big enough to work on, but they are definitely big enough to show off on-screen.
So, Scott Kelby’s book in hand, and his update on my hard drive, I’m giving LR another good college try.